Outdoor Burning Regulations
- Each day, before you begin your outdoor burning, you must call the outdoor burning number to determine if burning is allowed or closed, and if allowed the duration of time you are allowed to burn.
Burn line: 541-504-5035
- Failure to follow the outdoor burning regulations could result in fines and/or legal consequences. You are responsible for your fire and for any damage that results from it.
- All fires shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished.
- A minimum of one portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 4-A rating or other approved on-site fire-extinguishing equipment such as a shovel and dirt, garden hose, or water truck, shall be available for immediate utilization.
- Burning that will be offensive or objectionable because of smoke or odor emissions when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous shall be prohibited. The fire code official is authorized to order the extinguishment of open burning which creates or adds to a hazardous or objectionable situation.
Residential outdoor burning of yard debris:
- Provisions shall be made to prevent the fire from spreading to any structure.
- Fires in approved containers shall not be less than 15 feet from a structure.
- The minimum required distance from a structure shall be 25 feet where the pile size is 3 feet or less in diameter and 2 feet or less in height.
- The minimum required distance from a structure shall be 50 feet where the pile size is greater than 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height.
- Burn piles need to be sized so fires will be completely out by the required time indicated on the burn information line.
- ABSOLUTELY NO BURNING AFTER DARK
Items DEQ allows to be burned:
- Domestic: paper, cardboard, clothing
- Yard debris: wood, needle, or leaf materials from trees, shrubs, or plants
- Commercial Burns within 3 miles of the city limits must have a permit from DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality). DEQ may be reached at 541-388-6146 or on the internet at www.oregon.gov/DEQ
- Commercial Burns outside 3 miles of the city limits must follow requirements for residential outdoor burning of yard debris or lots from above.
To Report an Illegal Burn:
- Call the non-emergency dispatch line at 541-693-6911 to report an illegal burn. Or to report individuals who are burning items not approved by DEQ, please call DEQ at 541-388-6146.
- Violations that come to the attention of the fire department will be referred to DEQ for enforcement action.
Page Last Updated: Apr 18, 2018 (10:26:03)